Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Eco Chic Lifestyle Change Week 3:Weekly Update

  To remind everyone again, my SMART Goal for my Eco Chic Lifestyle change is: 

"I will use a cloth napkin for 2 out of the 3 meals i eat daily in my home for the next 10 weeks." 

  This goal is Eco-Chic because it reduces waste from paper napkins that you use for one drop of a spill and throw away. We as a society use way too many paper napkins, and they add up to so much waste! This is why cloth napkins are so good: they do not contribute to waste. You use one, wash it, and use it again, and they last for years. My grandmother has multiple sets of cloth napkins and she has had them for over 20 years. They are very environmentally friendly. 

  This past week has gone GREAT! I have not used a single paper napkin, and have used cloth napkins quite a lot. It really helped me to have one already sitting at the kitchen table so I remembered it was there and actually used it. The only challenge was going places where they did not have cloth napkins, and I worked hard not to spill my food as to not use any paper napkins at all. It made me feel really good to not use paper napkins; I felt accomplished and like I was really helping the environment. I learned that if you have them in plain site, you (and others) will use them instead of searching high and low for paper ones. I plan to keep more available on my kitchen table for this coming week as to help my roommates start using them too. If you want more information on how to have an eco-friendly kitchen, click here to go to Best Green Home Tips website. Below is a picture of cloth napkins from their website. 

2 comments:

  1. Good job achieving your goal! I like your idea that if they are in front of you, you will use them (and others). It's so true! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great. Not using a single napkin all week is pretty impressive. keeping reusable napkins on the table for your roommates to use is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave an eco-friendly comment :)