Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Reflection: Weeks 8 - 14

    The second half of the semester I learned so much! I also think that I liked what we learned about in this half better...lots of interesting stuff! I loved learning about all of this recycling videos and everything else, with my favorite being the documentary "The Story Of Stuff" where we learned that consuming buy-able objects is a whole cycle, with us, the consumer, being the one with all the power to stop it, but just choosing not to for many consumers. Another one of my favorites from the semester was our trip to Goodwill. I really loved going to Goodwill because I learned about all of the great recycling things they do, and don't let anything go to waste.
    At Goodwill they literally let nothing go to waste. The matresses get striped down into their original elements, old shoes get shipped to thir-world countries, clothes that they cannot sell get brought into Savers, and so on. I just love the fact that nothing goes to waste there, and the fact that Goodwill employs so many people who need jobs. It is such a great place that now I do a lot of my personal and christmas shopping there! :)
en.wikipedia.org
    In this half of the semester we watched many documentaries, all of which I found to be extemely interesting and informative. One interesting one was "Thirst", a documentary about the bottled water that we drink. After learning about all of the chemicals in our bottled water, I am never going to buy bottled water again. Not only is it expensive, but there are multiple toxins such as gas, prescription drugs, and even plastic! Really gross, I know.

    Yet another thing we learned about this semester is how to write an adovacy letter to a politician, and how to get people to vote your way on an issue. This is extremely important to know how to do in the health education field since all of your grant money comes from politicians, and you need to learn how to persuade them to vote your way.

   Through this the main focus was our Junking Project. For this we found old pieces of "junk" and then made it into something new and useful. I glued a small plate to the bottom of a wine glass to make a candy dish. I dont have a picture of it since it was left in the classroom and then lost, but it was really cool :)

1 comment:

  1. I liked the Story of Stuff video too. Super interesting. Thanks for sharing and learning with me during the second half of the semester!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave an eco-friendly comment :)